About the area
Find us on Google maps
Well-known Studland beach (National Trust) with its three miles of sand and dunes is a 15 minutes’ drive from the cottage. The unusual bay at Kimmeridge with its fossils and underwater Marine Wildlife Reserve can also be reached within quarter of an hour by car, whilst, nearer to home, the cove of Chapman’s Pool is only half an hour’s walk from Kingston Cottage. Kingston is surrounded by outstanding walking country, both inland and on the coastal path. It is a nature-lover’s paradise, with deer, hares, owls and other wildlife easily spotted. Rare species of reptiles and birds thrive on the nearby heathlands and the RSPB reserve at Arne is a ten minutes’ drive.
The spectacular coastline to the south of the cottage has recently been designated a World Heritage Site for its notable geological features, and can be reached on foot within half an hour.
Nearby attractions include the National Trust ruins of Corfe Castle, Swanage Steam Railway, Thomas Hardy’s Cottage at Bockhampton, Lulworth Castle, Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door, Kingston Lacy House, Monkey World, Bovington Tank Museum, Splashdown and boat trips to Brownsea Island famous for it’s red squirrels. There are excellent golf courses nearby (including The Isle of Pubeck Golf Club) previously owned by Enid Blyton. Cycle routes, fabulous walking, riding stable and water sports such as windsurfing and diving.
- Chapmans Pool - 1 mile - empty beach.
- Kimmeridge Bay - 4 miles - quiet fossil beach with marine reserve.
- Swanage Bay - 4 miles - 1 mile of sand, water sports and Punch and Judy.
- Dancing Ledge - 4 miles - swimming pool blown out of the rocks.
- Studland Bay - 10 miles - 3 miles of sandy beach.
- Corfe Castle - 1.5 miles.
- Swanage - 4 miles.
- Wareham - 6 miles.
- Bournemouth - 20 miles.
- Lulworth Cove - 12 miles.
- Monkey World, Bovington Tank Museum - 12 miles.
- Weymouth - 20 miles. Host site of 2012 Water Olympics
"The artists found the views and walking perfect for their stay, thank you"
Art Group, London
"The pub is great, very friendly, family loved sleeping in the summer house - we will be back"
J Cushnir, Birmingham